Skip to main content

"My broken cisterns never could stay filled..." -Jon Foreman


We are born ravenous creatures. Hungry and thirsty, a child cries out to its mother. It should come as no surprise to us that the fall of man was tied to the act of consumption. As Eve took hold of the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, she reached not only with her hand, but also with her heart. She longed to fulfill her desire for physical pleasure and worldly wisdom. I can picture the scene with clarity and empathy because my hands and heart daily reach in the same manner. If only I could see clearly at every moment that God is the true object of my every desire. When I opt for food, entertainment, daydreaming, and distractions rather than feasting on His word or time with Him, I come up empty. 

"My people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water."
-Jeremiah 2:13

I leave hungrier and thirstier than when I first came. It does not take long to remember the promise. 

"But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
-John 4:14

I remind myself not to live life digging in dry and empty lands in search of a source of satisfaction for my relentless hungering and thirsting. The alternative is to strike my spade into the rich truth of God's Word and feast on the presence of Him who will always satisfy. 

Comments

  1. Excellence, Kateri! Thank you for pointing me home, again and again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Art Exhibition - 2011

The Sacred Marker