Skip to main content

Tiny Theophanies


As I read God's word and see Him at work in the world around me I see these two realities become one. In scripture I have found that the accounts, symbols, truths, and images of the word are continuously interwoven with my own. Every time I experience God in a new way through the Bible, I discover a new landmark in my faith, like breadcrumbs that lead me back whenever I wander. 

"We can't - or I can't- hear the song of a bird simply as a sound. Its meaning or message (That's a bird) comes with it inevitably - just as one can't see a familiar word in print as a merely visual pattern. The reading is as involuntary as the seeing. When the wind roars I don't just hear the roar; I "hear the wind." In the same way it is possible to "read" as well as to "have" a pleasure. Or not even "as well as." The distinction ought to become, and sometimes is, impossible; to receive it and to recognize its divine source are a single experience. This heavenly fruit is instantly redolent of the orchard where it grew. This sweet air whispers of the country from whence it blows. It is a message. We know we are being touched by a finger or that right hand at which there are pleasures for evermore. There need be no question of thanks or praise as a separate event, something done afterwards. To experience the tiny theophany is itself to adore."
-C.S. Lewis



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senior Art Exhibition - 2011

"My broken cisterns never could stay filled..." -Jon Foreman

The Sacred Marker